Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mud Hero 2015

So last Saturday Anna and I participated in the Mud Hero Ottawa run. It was an absolute blast as you can probably tell by looking at the smiles on our faces. We took a bunch of pictures during the day which I have in an album over here.
First up Anna ran the kids course which was three 500 meter laps with 6 obstacles. The announcer constantly mentioned to parents to make sure that the kids schools were on tight or else they would lose them in the mud pit. Predictably, this led to a bunch of parents having to dig in the mud pit for their child's missing shoe.

Anna escaped with both of her shoes but as you can see she got super muddy which I encouraged whole heartedly.
Then I finally had my chance to run the 6km course with 20 obstacles with my buddy Hicham and one of his neighbours. There were some really fun obstacles like walls, tires, ropes, slides but by far the most fun was the waist deep (or deeper) mud. You can see in this pic I've just come down the slide and luckily retrieved my hat from the mud puddle.

After the race the team from Muscle Mlk was there to hand out ready to drink protein shakes. I don't know if it was because I just ran 6km but that was the best vanilla shake I've had in a long time.

For anyone who is interested in these types of races I can offer a few tips:

  1. Bring a complete change of clothes including shoes. You will not want to put your muddy shoes on after getting clean.
  2. Wear non-cotton underwear. You really need something that isn't going to trap in a pound of dirt in your skivvies. 
  3. Bring a big fluffy towel to get warm. The "showers" are generally hoses of cold water so you will go from being over heated to freezing in no time. The fluffy towel will help.
Next up is the Bad Ass Dash on July 18th in Nepean. Anyone interested in joining?


No comments: